Friday, December 26, 2014

GIMQ Clue #4 and Nut Brittle Recipe


Whew!  Well, I confess, I have fallen behind.  Mainly due to a shortage of my white fabric.  I will have to order some more tonight.  I have enough to get about 20 more of each of these, so I'm not short by much, but I'm not sure if we will be using the white anymore in this quilt and I don't want to run out.  It's a pretty good neutral, so I can use it in something else if not this quilt top.


Ah, Christmas...I wasn't sure I was going to get around to putting up a tree this year, just wasn't in the mood until early Christmas morning.  I was up at four AM and I had put the tree up a few days before, tossed on the lights but no decorations.  So rather than hang all the ornaments this late, I just pulled out some garlands and some poinsettia flowers in red and gold and used them to decorate the tree.  Festive but not fussy.  I think my husband was pleased when he woke up.  It set the tone for the day.  It just had been a little too frenetic at work this month.  Sometimes, it's just like that and you have to roll with it.  It doesn't pay to stress out over "things" and "image". Should-ing yourself into exhaustion doesn't make pleasant memories.  You have to take time for yourself and remember to breath!

My son and I cooked almost identical meals.  Although we could not spend this Christmas together, it was fun to exchange photos and recipes, back and forth as the day progressed.  He set quite the spread!


He served up a plate very similar to mine, we both cooked a standing rib roast, mashed potatoes and carrots, he added brussel sprouts, home made bread and Yorkshire pudding.



Of course there were lovely pies all around!  

Christmas for me, is all about family and food...the rest is all wonderful but if it were gone tomorrow I would be happy just to share the day in a family feast!  I hope your day was enjoyed as well.

Here is a quick little recipe that I will share for Nut Brittle.  So easy, you cannot mess this up.  Make it right in your microwave.

You will need:  

1 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup of light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups salted peanuts (or salted nuts of your choice)
1 Tbls butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract

#1.  line a cookie sheet with parchment paper

#2.  measure everything out first and have it ready to add, speed is          your friend.

#3.  In a large microwave safe bowl, mix your sugar and corn syrup, microwave uncovered on high power for 5 minutes, it will bubble!

#4.  Add the butter first and then the peanuts, stir quickly, return to the microwave and continue to cook on high power for 2-4 minutes, watch at the 2 minute mark and remove when it reaches a nice caramel color.

#5.  Add the baking soda and the vanilla, stir it in quickly, it will bubble.  Once incorporated, pour onto the parchment on your prepared cookie sheet.  Spread it out evenly, working quickly.

#6.  Let it cool completely and break it into pieces.


I hope you had a blessed Christmas and I wish you all the best in the coming year!

If you haven't started on the Grand Illusions Mystery Quilt, it's still not too late, download the directions and save them for later, you can jump in anywhere and catch up as you can.  For the links you will want to visit Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville here: http://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/grand-illusion-mystery.html

And for the link up to clue #4 you will want to go here: http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2014/12/mystery-monday-link-up-part-4.html

No comments:

Post a Comment